From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Since when does module-rebuild delete modules for previous kernel version?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 07:37:41
1 On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:46:32 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > Hasn't this always been the case. emerging a package removes files
4 > > installed by the previous merge.
5 > >
6 > > I think adding /lib/modules to CONFIG_PROTECT will prevent their
7 > > deletion.
8 >
9 > I just tried that after "eselect kernel set 1" and rebuilding modules,
10 > and it doesn't help.
11
12 Shame, the man page indicates that it should:
13 "In addition to protecting overwritten files, Portage will not delete any
14 files from a protected directory when a package is unmerged."
15
16 > I am quite sure the modules were not uninstalled in my old system. It
17 > could be that I had to set some option somewhere, but I don't remember
18 > :-/
19
20 I've just tried letting it re-emerge virtualbox-modules here and the old
21 modules are still there.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 WinErr 678: This will end your Windows session. Do you want to play
28 another game?