From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dovecot + inotify max_user instances
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 22:21:30
1 On 06/01/2014 23:04, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2014-01-06 2:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I think overall this is better than hacking around in dovecot's start-up
4 >> script (a rather unsuitable place for it imho
5 >
6 > Actually, a follow-up from Timo said he was planning on making this a
7 > configuration setting (default blank), and the init script would then
8 > just use this setting (if set).
9 >
10 > Which probably makes the most sense...
11
12 Personally, I'd put it in sysctls per covics post.
13
14 Can you imagine three years hence trying to find why max_user_instances
15 is set non-default and *nothing* in the usual places gives a clue why?
16
17 When you eventually resort to "grep -r max_user_instances /etc" and
18 realise that a kernel setting is being changed in your imap server
19 config, you will curse and swear to the heavens (been there, done that)
20
21 Of course, it's up to you. I just like to make config settings in places
22 that are the most obvious to everyone who is not me
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com