From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SVGA mode & the console
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:13:36
1 On 01/03/2011 08:09 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [11-01-03 17:27]:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM,<meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Final question after all there words: How can I get such a high
5 >>> resolution with this hardware and the nvidia-drivers???
6 >>
7 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
8 >>
9 >> Works for me on ~amd64 gentoo with nvidia-drivers :)
12 > Ok, forget the previous mail... ;)
13 >
14 > I give up not to use initramfs and did it as described
15 > in above webpage.
16 >
17 > Unfortunately I get an even more blocky design (4bit pocket
18 > calculator design, so to say... ;-/ )
19 >
20 > Will try more...we will see.
21 >
22 > If you have some more hints for....I would be happier ;)))
23
24 uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions. It will however allow you
25 to use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT
26 monitors.
27
28 But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
29 switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads you'll
30 be seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
31 graphics/logo right from the start.)