From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: howto get systemd to use localtime (I think)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 04:34:26
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 05/26/2014 03:44 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > Hi. I have noticed that when I bootup using systemd, till I run
6 > ntpdate, the times are 4 hours earlier than they should be. Do I
7 > need an hwclock unit somewhere, or some other command to fix? I
8 > don't think the clock is actually wrong, its got to have something
9 > to do with the timezone.
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
14 First, make sure that the system time zone is correct by making sure
15 that /etc/localtime is a symlink to your current timezone (in
16 /usr/share/zoneinfo).
17
18 If the only operating system you boot on the machine is Linux (or,
19 generally, if you *don't* use Windows):
20
21 1) Set your BIOS clock to the current time *in UTC*.
22 2) Ensure that the last line of /etc/adjtime reads "UTC" (instead of
23 "LOCAL")
24
25 If you *do* dual-boot to Windows (and don't want to use the
26 unsupported methods to make Windows aware that the BIOS time is UTC):
27
28 1) Set your BIOS clock to the current *local* time
29 2) Ensure that the last line of /etc/adjtime reads "LOCAL" (instead of
30 "UTC").
31
32 If you dual-boot Windows 7 or earlier and want to use that unsupported
33 method mentioned above:
34
35 1) Set your BIOS clock to the current time *in UTC*.
36 2) Ensure that the last line of /etc/adjtime reads "UTC" (instead of
37 "LOCAL")
38 3) In Windows, in the registry key
39 "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation"
40 set the value "RealTimeIsUniversal" (a DWORD if you have to create it)
41 to "1".
42
43 If you use Windows 8, in addition to the above, you have to disable
44 Windows from ever writing the time to the BIOS clock, otherwise on
45 shutdown it will reset the BIOS time to local time.
46
47 - --
48 Jonathan Callen