From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:25:58
1 On 06/30/2012 05:50 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Thanks. Now more questions. I have read about this a few times but
3 > never quite figured it out. I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
4 > because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
5 > kernel. Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux? If it is,
6 > is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something? If I
7 > need a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing? I
8 > have looked and I don't have one on mine here. Maybe I am missing
9 > something. Google didn't find me anything either.
10 The bzImage is a vmlinuz (or vmlinuz) image, and is what grub2 expects
11 to use with a "linux" kernel definition.
12 I usually copy the bzImage to a file named "gentoo.XYZ" where the XYZ is
13 the kernel version number. I'm not sure if
14 grub-mkconfig is yet smart enough to figure it out completely, but I've
15 been using grub2 with my gentoo partitions for a while.
16 Certainly, grub-mkconfig in fedora recognizes the gentoo disk properly
17 as another linux installation (via the os-prober) and
18 builds menuentries for them. It may just be reading the grub2/grub.cfg
19 file I wrote.
20
21 One thing is certain, grub2 doesn't have to have all the scripting and
22 rigamarole that fedora and GNU put in via the grub-mkconfig
23 command, a simple config file will work as well. GNU has grub2 in the
24 RC1 phase right now and I've built it under fedora and gentoo
25 and use it. I've gone from using a grub2 cdrom boot to using the BIOS
26 boot menu device select to control whether I'm going into
27 Linux or Win7 (Win7 is on the default device and grub2 for fedora and
28 gentoo are on other discs.)
29
30 I'm using a shared /home partition with slightly different uids for each
31 system, but a common "username". Each uid homedir
32 contains native dotfiles for a variety of services and some symlinks to
33 a common set of {Documents, Downloads,Public,Pictures,
34 and public_html} directories.
35
36 Grub2 isn't that hard to do, it's just /different/