From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Monolingual Dictionary
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:35:07
1 On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:04:51PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jakob Buchgraber squawked:
2 > Is there any excellent monolingual dictionary available for (Gentoo) Linux?
3
4 What do you mean by monoligual? (English to English? or other
5 languages?)
6
7 Anycase, I have on my desktop 'sdcv' installed. The last time I
8 checked (about 18 months ago) it is not in portage. Not quite sure if
9 it is now.
10 http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/
11 It is a commandline interface for StarDict, and so can just use
12 stardict's dictionaries. (Speaking of which, if you are willing to
13 have a GUI, you can just emerge stardict; you would also need to
14 emerge the dictionaries that you need, they are all under app-dicts
15 with a stardict- prefix. There are also additional dictionaries that
16 you can download on http://stardict.sourceforge.net/)
17
18 On my laptop, I just run a dictd server (emerge dictd). You also need
19 to install dictionary files, again, all under app-dicts/dictd-*
20 For English to English, I suggest the WordNet dictionary.
21
22 You can also, alternatively, just emerge wordnet.
23
24 Personally, if you just need an English-English dictionary, I would
25 suggest using wordnet. Dictd is a bit fancier, but you might not find
26 it more useful (I personally find the elements database quite useful
27 every now and then). If you need support for other languages, I would
28 suggest StarDict.
29
30 Also, you can just look into the portage tree under app-dicts and
31 app-text
32
33 HTH,
34
35 W
36 --
37 (aikamuotojen käyttö aikamatkustuksessa)
38 "You can arrive (mayan arivan on-when) for any sitting you
39 like without prior (late fore-when) reservation because you
40 can book retrospectively, as it were when you return to
41 your own time. (you can have on-book haventa forewhen
42 presooning returningwenta retrohome.) "
43 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 53 days, 20:33
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list