From: kwkhui@××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck separate /usr
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 03:57:30
1 On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:54:24 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Hi there!
7 > >
8 > > I'm using the new udev with a separate /usr partition.
9 >
10 > How do you create your initramfs? The new udev (>= 182, I believe)
11 > requires the use of an initramfs if you have a separated /usr.
12 >
13 > > It was encrypted,
14 > > and it seems there is no solution yet for this.
15 >
16 > dracut has two modules, crypt and crypt-gpg, that maybe do what you
17 > are needing.
18 >
19 > > so I moved it over to an
20 > > unencrypted volume - no problem, /usr is one partition where
21 > > encryption does not make that much sense anyway. Works, but after
22 > > an unclean shutdown (reading files in /proc/<pid>/ was not a good
23 > > idea) /usr wants to be fsck'ed. But it is already mounted at that
24 > > stage.
25 >
26 > That's the reason you need an initramfs.
27
28 No, that's the reason you want the filesystem's fsck to be included in
29 the initramfs.
30
31 > > The boot process just continues, but I wonder what one should do to
32 > > make the fsck run. Except for using a live cd.
33 >
34 > With an initramfs.
35
36 Using initramfs is necessary but itself not sufficient.
37
38 One can create an initramfs (from scratch) that does nothing but
39 mount /usr (with only busybox and a few /dev nodes, plus whatever other
40 tools needed to find /usr, viz. lvm, cryptsetup and friends, assuming
41 the necessary drivers are built in the kernel and not as modules ---
42 see e.g. the old gentoo wiki at
43 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Custom_Initramfs_From_Scratch ).
44
45 The initramfs needs to have the relevant fsck tools (plus dependencies)
46 if it was to perform fsck.
47
48 Kerwin.