From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting "using_dma" on a BenQ DVD/RW drive
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:29:29
1 Rumen Yotov wrote:
2
3 >Hi Roy,
4 >Just guessing here but seems you have SATA drives not IDE, don't
5 >use/know much about SATA yet ;) but maybe this have something to do with
6 >the error on activating DMA, from the logs your hard-disk *is* using
7 >UDMA-133 & PIO4 ?
8 >Could check BIOS-settings, other thoughts here? Check with 'hdparm'
9 >setting on your hard (/dev/sdaX or /dev/....).
10 >All kernel-config you show deals with IDE/ISA settings.
11 >HTH. Rumen
14 My system has two SATA WD Raptors for hard disks. I'm
15 trying to get DMA working for the DVD writer which is IDE.
16 I'd just like to eliminate the occasionaly hiccup when playing
17 DVDs.
18
19 FYI, AFAIK hdparm does not work with SATA. From the man
20 page it is pretty explicit that it is EIDE/IDE only. When I try
21 it against my SATA drives it barfs:
22
23 royw-gentoo linux # hdparm -i /dev/sda
24
25 /dev/sda:
26 HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
27
28 Thank you,
29 Roy
30 --