From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : on-going frustration
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:01:07
1 Am Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 04:13:19PM -0400 schrieb Philip Webb:
2
3 > Since then, it hasn't worked out very well
4 > & I'm still relying on my 7-year-old machine (ANB5).
5
6 What hasn’t worked out specifically?
7
8 > I would like to have PCIe 4.0 , which is much faster than 3.0 ,
9 > to improve Gentoo compile times ; I don't do gaming.
10
11 As Mark already mentioned – PCIe speed has no impact on compile times. It’s
12 only used for communication between CPU and {GPU, NVMe, Chipset}, or between
13 GPU and RAM.
14
15 > I want to buy from a physical store, not delivered by an on-line order,
16 > in case there's a defect, so that I can easily take it back to the store.
17
18 So you built the Ryzen system we talked about, and now want to start over?
19
20 > my impression is that if you get PCIe 4.0 , you don't get CPU graphics,
21 > but have to buy a separate graphics card ;
22 > if you have built-in graphics in the CPU, you get only PCIe 3.0.
23
24 That’s the way with AM3-socket APUs. It won’t be with AM4, but those are
25 probably still a year away (at least half a year).
26
27 Also, the new AM4 CPUs all have a basic iGPU inside, much like most Intels
28 have had until now. They won’t be much to write home about, but will be
29 sufficient for office and desktop.
30
31 > I might be willing to get an Intel CPU,
32 > but in their specifications there's no mention of PCIe (3 or 4) :
33 > is this an accident or are PCIe's confined to AMD ?
34
35 When I need such information, I like to go to Wikipedia. It has everything
36 under one roof, often in very similar formats for both vendors. Here’s a
37 description of Intel’s recent generation:
38 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake
39 And as you can see, those have 16×PCIe 5 for the graphics slot and another
40 4×4.0, probably for NVMe. The chipset is connected via Intel’s proprietary
41 DMI and connects to more mass storage, USB etc.
42
43 > Does anyone have any useful advice or suggestions ?
44
45 Well, we suggested stuff and advised on things. Please elaborate what hasn’t
46 worked out for you and why.
49 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
50 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
51
52 Show me a hero and I prove to you that he is an asshole.