From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:20:31
1 This is the first time ever that I ended up with an unbootable kernel
2 after a new install, and I have no idea where to start. This is a
3 fresh install of Gentoo 2007.0 minimal CD stage 3, using the x86 quick
4 install guide.
5
6 Here's the error I get at boot while the kernel is loading its device drivers:
7
8 VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
9 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
10 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
11
12 I am using grub, with conf file just like in the install guide (I
13 happened to use the same file system set-up):
14
15 title=Gentoo
16 root (hd0,0)
17 kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda3
18
19 I have a SATA drive in my system, which seems to get loaded fine by
20 the kernel, at least from what I can tell - there seem to be no error
21 messages to that effect.
22
23 I suppose I could do a genkernel, but I'd like to be able to tell
24 where I went wrong with my config... Where do I start looking for
25 this?
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list