From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quieting a 2-speed, loud CPU fan
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:35:23
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 >> I just upgraded my AMD X2 4000+ to a 6000+. The fan that came with
4 >> the 4000+ always sounded like it had one speed and it was quiet. The
5 >> 6000+ comes with a fan that seems to have two speeds and the faster
6 >> speed is pretty loud. Can I get the fan to never increase to the
7 >> higher speed?
8 >
9 > Search for options in the BIOS. Mine has several profiles for fan
10 > behavior (temperatures/fan speeds). If yours doesn't, you can use the
11 > lm_sensors package to set up various fan speeds at various temperatures.
16 Also, some fans have a temp control that is linear. It doesn't switch
17 between speeds but as the temperature increases the speed increases
18 until it reaches a balance point. I have a ThermalTake cooler and that
19 is how it works but there may be others. The temp sensor is attached
20 under the CPU between the CPU and the socket. Mine has worked well for
21 about five years now.
22
23 Just something to consider. If you have a lappy, never mind. You may
24 be stuck with the BIOS option.
25
26 Dale
27