From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:40:25
1 On 10/29/06, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 20:25 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:14:06 -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > > > And DON'T use XFS if you can't afford an UPS.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Unless you're using a laptop.
8 > > >
9 > > > Solar UPS?
10 > >
11 > > Battery!
12 > >
13 > actually laptops are worse - on mine laptop-mode doesnt detect when a
14 > battery runs out - so everything goes black!
15 >
16 > On one occasion I lost most of an ext3 file system, so I went back to
17 > reiserfs and no more problems. I have lost small areas of data with
18 > reiserfs (nothing recent though - very stable), but on ext3 Ive lost
19 > whole systems (desktops, and the laptop mentioned above).
20
21 I'm a bit late joining the discussion but in my experience I would say
22 I had problems with reiserfs about 50% of the time spread over the
23 last six years or so. Most of the problems were the result of power
24 failures but I had all sorts of strange things happen like
25 /etc/X11/X11.conf being replaced with /etc/profile or some such
26 nonsense. Data loss happened occasionally as well. I ended up
27 creating a cronjob that ran sync every five minutes and that pretty
28 much put a stop to the problems.. Now I avoid using reiserfs although
29 I do use reiser4 for a squid cache and there does seem to be a
30 noticable speed improvement. Otherwise I'm slowly moving everything
31 over to jfs.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list