From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wireless software config problem
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 01:30:39
1 On Wed, Sep 06 2017, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 22:29:29 BST allan gottlieb wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Sep 06 2017, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> > On 06/09/2017 18:31, allan gottlieb wrote:
6 >> >> My system runs gnome3/systemd. I use NetworkManager, which is mostly
7 >> >> working fine.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> At work the desired network is named "nyu". The sysadmins say I need to
10 >> >> change at least one security parameter. When I open the gui it shows
11 >> >> the network configuration parameters (by clicking the gear) and lets me
12 >> >> select different values. However the "Apply" button never becomes
13 >> >> active so I can only "Cancel".
14 >> >>
15 >> >> If I try to select the "nyu" network it asks for the password, which I
16 >> >> know and enter. I then click the appropriate button (something like
17 >> >> "apply" or "ok"). As expected the window goes away but I am not
18 >> >> connected and the window reappears.
19 >> >>
20 >> >> A "tip" from the sys admins at work is to somehow tell my system to
21 >> >> forget all it knows about the network "nyu", but neither I nor they know
22 >> >> how to do it (they don't "fully support" linux).
23 >> >>
24 >> >> Any help would be appreciated.
25 >> >
26 >> > Your sysadmins are talking shit. What they need to do is tell you what
27 >> > the security settings are for that SSID. If it's a corporate firm it's
28 >> > likely something along the lines of "Protected EAP (PEAP)" and they must
29 >> > tell you what it requires. Or, find a working Windows machine and check
30 >> > it's wireless network property for that SSID. Usually, one can figure it
31 >> > out relatively easily.
32 >> >
33 >> > That your sysadmins don't know this is a rather brutal indictement of
34 >> > your sysadmins...
35 >> >
36 >> > In connman one often has delete and re-create connections as it often
37 >> > happens there isn't an Edit button in connman applets! But not in
38 >> > NetworkManager:
39 >> > right click -> Config -> Edit -> Save
40 >> > always does the trick if you click the right buttons in the Edit step
41 >>
42 >> I must not have been clear. They told me about peap etc.
43 >> I can't make network manager change to the desired configuration.
44 >> When I change the settings, the gui doesn't let me apply the change.
45 >>
46 >> allan
47 >
48 > This sounds like an OS user permissions problem. Do you have sys-auth/polkit
49 > installed and is USE="policykit" enabled for networkmanager?
50 >
51 > Also have a read here in case you need to create this rule:
52 >
53 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NetworkManager#Fixing_nm-applet_insufficient_privileges
54
55 I run gentoo stable and networkmanager-1.4.4-r1 doesn't have a policykit
56 use flag (version ~1.8.0 does have a that use flag).
57
58 I will try changing the settings tomorrow as root (the network in
59 question is at work)
60
61 thanks
62 allan