From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 00:41:36
1 On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 05:26:19PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote
2 > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 07:41:52PM +0100, hasufell wrote:
3 > > Starting with USE="-*" on a server (which is a sane thing to do) has
4 > > become a lot more difficult as well.
5 >
6 > No, starting with USE="-*" is very dangerous. It is not recommended nor
7 > supported, in any setup, by the dev community. If you do it, you are
8 > solely responsible for your system and you get to keep the broken pieces
9 > when things do not work.
10 > A safer approach would be to turn off the specific use flags you do not
11 > want to support.
12
13 I run icewm desktop with the specific set of apps that I need. In
14 make.conf I have...
15
16 USECPU="abi_x86_64 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3"
17 USEOTHER=" X a52 aac bzip2 cxx dga dri exif ffmpeg flac fortran gallium gif intel jpeg mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl openrc png posix readline ssl suid theora threads tiff tools truetype vim-syntax vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid zlib"
18 USE="-* ${USECPU} ${USEOTHER}"
19
20 Yes, you can do stuff like that in make.conf. Plus in package.use I
21 have several additional package-specific entries. Once a flag shows up
22 multiple times in package.use, I look at moving it into make.conf.
23
24 If portage finds a package requires a missing dependancy, it lists it.
25 Then I can add the flag as required. Or I may decide that I don't want
26 the package that badly. If you want to look at it that way, what I've
27 really done is to replace the default USE flag set with my own defaults,
28 which are more appropriate for my machine and my usage.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications