From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:30:41
1 On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 Jul 2011 08:24:37 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 >> Depending on your available ram and swap space, you might want to mount
4 >> /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs. My fstab entry shows
5 >>
6 >> none                    /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs
7 >> size=10g,nr_inodes=1m
8 >>
9 >> I have 4GB ram, and the speed benefit especially for open/libre-office is
10 >> quite impressive.
11 >>
12 >> The advantage is, that it
13 >> a) uses only as much of memory as is really used
14 >> b) you may use mount option -remount to increase the size of the
15 >> filesystem, and add proper swapfiles if you see that you're running out of
16 >> space (mkswap, swapon)
17 >
18 > I also only have 4G of RAM and libreoffice seems to need more than 7-8G of
19 > /var/tmp/portage to compile and build.  OOo does it in less that 5G.
20 >
21 > What will libreoffice do if /var/tmp/portage is a tmpfs?  Start swapping like
22 > mad?
23
24 No; the tmpfs runs out of space, and the build fails. Had that happen
25 with Thunderbird, and thus ended my usage of tmpfs for /var/tmp. I'll
26 probably go back to using tmpfs there once I've bumped my machine up
27 to the motherboard's max of 16GB of RAM.
28 --
29 :wq