From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to upgrade postgresql under gentoo
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:13:13
1 On 11/10/2014 06:04 AM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi. I have a puzzle regarding upgrading postgresql. In my recent world
3 > update I went from 9.4_beta2 to beta3, but when I tried to start the
4 > server, it complained that the databases were written with a different
5 > "catalog version" -- whatever that is, and the pg_upgrade tool requires
6 > both old and new binaries to actually upgrade the database. So as a
7 > temporary measure, I went back to beta2 and things worked again. So
8 > what the heck are you supposed to do here, I like pg, but this is very
9 > strange to me.
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
14 pg_upgrade has always been a PITA for me. There's an easier way that
15 always works: run pg_dumpall, upgrade postgres, and then restore the
16 dump file.
17
18 If your databases are small enough, it's much less stressful, and it
19 works for major version bumps as well.
20
21 If you're worried about overwriting your data, you could always back up
22 the beta2 binary files, and then create empty databases under beta3
23 before restoring.