From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gui frontend on github
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:24:51
1 Hello,
4 Well for a while now, I have been looking for a smart way to add some UI
5 (gui) front to a github presence. Has anyone tried gitlab+github using
6 www-apps/jekyll, a simple blog aware, static site generator ?
7 [1,2]?
8
9 If so, I'd appreciate some feedback on what you tried, how you like it and a
10 link to view. If not Jekyll then how did you create your git[lab/hub]
11 presence ?
12
13 Perhaps we should have a github gentoo-template site that can be duplicated
14 so users set up gentoo styled github presences that includes a basic
15 framework:: for example; a blog, CV, and areas of interest. The ideas is so
16 gentoo-users can rapidly and easily create a cool presence on github?
17
18 Maybe it's just me, but the blandness of github is a turn-off. I think it is
19 very important for folks to explain in some detail, the theme (what, why,
20 when) they are offering a collection of codes on github, rather than just a
21 plain collection of codes that someone might not want to spend the
22 parse-time reviewing to discern if collection of codes is useful to them.
23
24 Heck, even the US gov departments are now being forced to open source many
25 of their codes [3], so a github account might become necessary to graduate
26 HS in the not to distant future.
29 all comments, including criticisms, are most welcome/
30 James
33 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GitLab
34
35 [2] http://pages.gitlab.io/