From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 09:08:22
1 Way back when I first got an X2 they couldn't keep time for whatever
2 reason. I used to have to add something like "clock=pmtmr notsc" to the
3 kernel command line to make it behave.
4
5 That issue was fixed in a later kernel, but you could start adding clock
6 options to your kernel command line and pray that one of them jiggles
7 something in your favor.
8
9 A couple from the kernel docs:
12 clock=[BUGS=IA-32, HW] gettimeofday clocksource override.
13 [Deprecated]
14 Forces specified clocksource (if avaliable) to be used
15 when calculating gettimeofday(). If specified
16 clocksource is not avalible, it defaults to PIT.
17 Format: { pit | tsc | cyclone | pmtmr }
20 clocksource=Override the default clocksource
21 Format: <string>
22 Override the default clocksource and use the clocksource
23 with the name specified.
24 Some clocksource names to choose from, depending on
25 the platform:
26 [all] jiffies (this is the base, fallback clocksource)
27 [ACPI] acpi_pm
28 [ARM] imx_timer1,OSTS,netx_timer,mpu_timer2,
29 pxa_timer,timer3,32k_counter,timer0_1
30 [AVR32] avr32
31 [X86-32] pit,hpet,tsc,vmi-timer;
32 scx200_hrt on Geode; cyclone on IBM x440
33 [MIPS] MIPS
34 [PARISC] cr16
35 [S390] tod
36 [SH] SuperH
37 [SPARC64] tick
38 [X86-64] hpet,tsc
41 tsc=Disable clocksource-must-verify flag for TSC.
42 Format: <string>
43 [x86] reliable: mark tsc clocksource as reliable, this
44 disables clocksource verification at runtime.
45 Used to enable high-resolution timer mode on older
46 hardware, and in virtualized environment.