From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making sense of emerge --sync
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:07:58
1 On 7/6/06, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > But your reply leads to other questions: IIRC portage
3 > didn't say "applying updates", it just mentioned the
4 > file at the end of the sync. Don't I have to run
5 > update to actually "apply" the updates?
6
7 No, portage will do this "update" automatically when necessary.
8
9 > And, how do I prevent some updates and allow others.
10
11 Hrm, you *don't* want to do this in this case. Again, these are
12 things that have moved around in the portage tree, and if you have
13 them installed, you *want* portage to apply the same changes to the
14 package database. Otherwise you will never see updates for packages
15 that move after you have installed them.
16
17 > I have bandwidth issues;(
18
19 This has nothing to do with bandwidth, or automatically updating the
20 packages themselves. It is only moving stuff around in /var/db/pkg to
21 keep it in sync with the portage tree. Emerge --update still works
22 exactly like it did, just with the new package names.
23
24 -Richard
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list