From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recently reduced video/render performance
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 15:01:01
1 Hi list!
2
3 Since updating to mplayer and KDE to current stable
4 (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20101114 and kde-4.6), I notice two
5 performance regressions:
6
7 1. The system can no longer handle videos with VGA resolution or higher
8 at 25 FPS (I'm talking about a Core i5 with corresponding intel
9 graphics, btw).
10 2. glxgears reports
11 "Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
12 approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
13 291 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.121 FPS"
14
15 So, even if it is running vsync, 58 FPS is definitely not the refresh
16 rate. Previously, it has been around 1000 FPS or something like this.
17
18 I don't believe mplayer is really the problem since VLC also has this
19 problem and ffmpeg was not updated.
20
21 Does anyone else experience this? I don't have an xorg.conf file. Do I
22 need to make some settings since updating KDE?
23
24 Thanks in advance!
25 Florian Philipp