From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RFC : fast copying of a whole directory tree
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:30:43
1 On Feb 13, 2012 11:15 PM, "Joerg Schilling" <
2 Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 2012-02-13, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > On 02/13/12 05:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
8 > > >>
9 > > >> I've written a small Python program which outputs the file names in
10 > > >> i-node order. If this is fed into tar or cpio nearly no seeks are
11 > > >> required during copying.
12 > > >
13 > > > What makes you think the inodes are sequential on-disk?
14 > >
15 > > Even if the i-nodes are sequential on-disk, there's no reason to think
16 > > that the data blocks associated with the inodes are in any particular
17 > > order with respect to the i-nodes themselves.
18 >
19 > Correct, there is however a really fast method using "star -copy".
20 >
21 > This works because there are two decoupled processes, shared memory
22 between
23 > them and the fact that star reads names from directories in one big chunk.
26 Honestly, that's news to me. Which package has star?
27
28 Rgds,