From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading 1-year old system
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 23:59:15
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 01/29/2017 03:25 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 03:32:22PM -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> I haven't updated my system for over a year (1year and 3-months).
6 >>>>> I was trying to upgrade my firefox-bin and I'm already running into problems.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> What is my best option, re-install from scratch, upgrade in stages etc.
9 >>>>> With firefox-bin I'm getting:
10 >>>> 1 year 3 months isn't usually that bad and it can be done - I've done it
11 >>>> many times myself. However there are gotchas:
12 >>>> […]
13 >>>> - go slowly and deal with one block at a time. A regular emerge world
14 >>>> probably won't succeed so you gotta bite of small chunks
15 >>>>
16 >>>> With those basics out the way, it's a great learning experience. I
17 >>>> recommend you do it at least once.
18 >>> Might I also add, the -t option can reveal what is causing what
19 >>> sometimes.
20 >> Add --unordered-display to that (I put it into my emerge default options).
21 >> It will shrink the output by removing duplicate [nomerge] lines and give you
22 >> an easier to understand overview.
23 >>
24 >> A short while ago I updated an old netbook that hadn't seen any action in
25 >> probably 2 years. It took a while (I cloned the HDD and compiled on my main
26 >> rig), but I prevailed, inlcuding KDE 4 upgrades.
27 >>
28 >>> Also, I'd start with @system first, then work on @world.
29 >> I use custom sets (basic tools, system utilities, X stuff, media players
30 >> etc) and dealt with one of them at a time, starting with the less intricate
31 >> ones.
32 >>
33 >>> Only bad thing is, KDE, if you have it installed, is in @system because
34 >>> of dependencies, last I checked anyway.
35 >> Uhm, KDE will not become part of @system, but you probably can't update kde
36 >> without @system first. Much fun comes from the package renaming from
37 >> kde-base to kde-apps, and now KDE4 isn't even in the tree anymore. (The OP
38 >> hasn't stated whether he actually uses KDE, though.)
39 >>
40 >> There are three options that spring to mind:
41 >> - use the -D flag. Not really an option at the start, but later on in the
42 >> process. The problem: if you upgrade package A, which depends on package
43 >> C, then the -D flag will catch it. But if package B also depends on it and
44 >> *requires* a lower version, you get blockers.
45 >> - Those blockers you can either remove temporarily (such as media
46 >> applications that are rich in dependencies)
47 >> - or add them to a small list of packages that you then update with one
48 >> emerge run.
49 >> - Try updating the unsuspicious stuff first. It will thin out your emerge
50 >> output and let you deal with the tricky stuff later. Ask eix -uc. It will
51 >> show you all upgradable packages and mark those in world with a different
52 >> colour. Plus it is my hope that this will speed up emerge -u world because
53 >> the package list becomes smaller.
54 >>
55 >> Happy hunting.
56 > I'm running Xfce so I don't have to deal with KDE?.
57 > Thanks all for help, I'll stay in touch if I run into problem. And I'm
58 > sure there will be plenty :-)
61 > Thelma
65 Yea, we like watching others getting tortured by error messages that
66 need to be decrypted. lol I've been there myself.
67
68 Dale
69