From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 15:21:58
1 Am Tue, 19 May 2015 10:53:26 -0400
2 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3
4 > On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Incidentally, what's the received wisdom on frequency of file-system trimming
7 > > on SSDs these days? I've seen values quoted between twice a day and once a
8 > > week. And how does trimming affect btrfs?
11 > I've been trimming mine daily, and I've yet to be able to distinguish
12 > it from a no-op. As far as I can tell fstrim -v always outputs 0
13 > bytes trimmed.
14
15 (Note that I'm also a btrfs user.)
16
17 I've been using the systemd timer that comes with util-linux upstream without
18 modification, which runs fstrim weekly. That seems to work well, but to be
19 quite honest, I wouldn't know how to tell. Sometimes I wasn't even sure it
20 ran, so I would run it manually, and it always finished nigh-instantaneously.
21
22 Before that, I used the discard mount option, but apparently that's only a good
23 idea with high-end SSDs (not that I noticed much of a difference in everyday
24 usage).
27 Marc Joliet
28 --
29 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
30 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup