From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 20:48:51
1 lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > what's taking so long when emerging packages despite distcc is used?
6 >
7 > I have disallowed compiling on the local machine (which is the one
8 > emerge is running on) through distcc settings because the local
9 > machine is relatively slow. Yet I can see some gcc processes running
10 > on the local machine, and emerging goes painfully slow. Using distcc
11 > doesn't seem to make it any faster, though disabling local compiling
12 > seems to help a bit.
13 >
14 > Some compilations are being run on the remote machine, so distcc does
15 > work. The log file on the remote machine shows compilation times of a
16 > few milliseconds up to about 1.5 seconds at most. The distcc server
17 > would be finished with the emerging within maybe 15 minutes, and the
18 > client takes several hours already.
19 >
20 > Is there something going wrong? Is there a way to speed things up as
21 > much as I would expect from using distcc?
22
23 P.S.: distccmon is a good tool to watch the compilation processes.