From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:30:28
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The systemd line was always that if you wanted to ship your logs off
4 > to another box, use rsyslog. So I've never understood the embedding of
5 > an httpd in systemd. I guess that the httpd server's useful if if you
6 > want a basic send-the-logs-to-another-box-as-is, but that, if you want
7 > to filter or manipulate the journald output, you have to use rsyslog
8 > or syslog-ng.
11 If you're going to implement a log manager there is no reason to not
12 let it export logs to a central manager.
13
14 As far as filtering/manipulating logs goes, you can do plenty of that
15 with journalctl already, and it supports dumping your logs in json so
16 you can do anything you want with them in another tool. There aren't
17 really any such tools around yet, but I'm sure we'll see them come up.
20 Rich