From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many GB for / partition?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:30:37
1 On Thursday 16 February 2006 13:19, Izar Ilun wrote:
2 > I'm installing Gentoo and I'd like you to suggest me how much disc space I
3 > should use for /.
4 >
5 > My machine is Pentium4, 1GB RAM, 200 GB HD ATA
6 >
7 > It's a desktop machine with Gentoo as the only and exclusive OS.
8 >
9 > Will run KDE. Amarok, OpenOffice, firefox....
10 >
11 > Thanx!
12
13 40-60gb for /
14 2GB swap
15 15MB /boot
16 rest /home
17
18 you'll never fill up root, so making a lot of partitions is just wasted space.
19 Plus, when /tmp or /var are full you are f* anyway, so no reason to put them
20 on their own partition. Additionally, the more partitions, the more useless
21 head movement, the slower data transfer the earlier the harddisk dies.
22
23 And yes, I once put all and everything on its own partition.
24 I learnt the hard way, that this does not solve problems, it creates them.
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list