From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge: The following pkgs are causing rebuilds
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:47:37
1 On 12/30/2015 06:54 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 >
3 > emerge output:
4 > The following pkgs are causing rebuilds:
5 > [list of pkgs]
6 >
7 > I suspect this ground has been covered in depth but finding a good
8 > discussion of what it means is a different story. So, is this bad news?
9 > Or something that needs my attention...?
12 You used to have to run revdep-rebuild to find packages that needed to
13 be rebuilt after an update. Portage got smarter, and now some of those
14 rebuilds can be triggered automatically.
15
16 It's perfectly normal and expected. The underlying mechanism is subslot
17 dependencies:
18
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sub-slots_and_Slot-Operators