From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MythTV backend on non-dedicated machine?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:07:28
1 Does anybody have any experience with running a MythTV backend
2 on a non-dedicated machine (a machine that's also used for
3 software development, web-browsing, e-mail, etc.)?
4
5 All of the info I find about "split" MythTV systems implies
6 that the backend is a dedicated MythTV server. It seems like a
7 waste to have both a backend server and my normal "desktop"
8 machine running all the time -- both 99% idle.
9
10 My tuner is a network-attached HDHR, so the backend isn't doing
11 any real-time encoding. All it needs to to is shovel bytes
12 between the network interface and the disk. I do plan on
13 having a dedicated drive for MythTV recordings.
16 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Kids, don't gross me
17 at off ... "Adventures with
18 visi.com MENTAL HYGIENE" can be
19 carried too FAR!