From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:11:37
1 On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:57:24 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Actually, portage looks for enough space before even starting and
4 > > still does. However, when I force it to ignore it, it stops and says
5 > > it ran out of space. I'd just rather it didn't use swap anyway.
6 > > Either way, OOo and LOo used to need lots of space. I think there
7 > > was some code cleanup and maybe some other changes that reduced that
8 > > a lot. I think there was also some gcc changes to but not sure on
9 > > that.
10 > >
11 > > I did some more searching after my last post, at one point it looked
12 > > for at least 12GBs from what I found. That was the largest setting I
13 > > found.
14 >
15 > Right, so running /var/tmp/portage on a tmpfs definitely won't work on
16 > an old box of mine with only a few MB of memory.
17
18 It will, because it starts to use swap, but then there's no benefit to
19 using tmpfs in the first place. What I used to do on my netbook was run
20 tmpfs for /tmp and have PORTAGE_TMPDIR use that by default but set
21 specific packages to use a different, on disk, location
22
23 % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
24 app-office/libreoffice disk-tmpdir.conf
25
26 ]% cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
27 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
28
29 where /mnt/scratch is a directory I use for all sorts of non-permanent
30 files.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 The truth shall make you free, but first it shall piss you off.