From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] to nest commands
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 14:58:38
1 On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:52:10 +0100
2 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > There are some other options of "nesting" as well. You can use
4 > backticks "`" or $(...) to run a command "inside" another. An example
5 > would be emerge `qlist -CI x11-drivers` (or the equivalent emerge
6 > $(qlist -CI x11-drivers) ) . This would run "qlist -CI
7 > x11-drivers" (lists installed packages of the category x11-drivers)
8 > and use this output for emerge (which will effectively result in
9 > reinstalling every package from the x11-drivers category).
10
11 As I understand it, the $(...) syntax is the preferred way of nesting,
12 as opposed to backticks. I think this may be due to backticks requiring
13 some special escaping that the $(...) syntax does not require. I
14 attempted a brief search for supporting information, but didn't find a
15 definitive source to back up my claims :)