From: Caster <cast3r@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: broken libraries but library-linking is consistent ;-)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:33:08
1 > according to revdep-rebuild, quite a few libraries on my system are
2 broken.
3 > But at the end of revdep-rebuild, it tells me, my system was consistent.
4
5 This means the broken libraries don't belong to any package. Something
6 touched/altered them (probably fix libtool script when updating gcc) so they
7 had different mtime/md5sum than what was recorded in the package db. Such
8 altered files are not unmerged. It's quite safe to delete them. I suppose
9 you updated kde 3.4 to 3.5 and unmerged the old 3.4... as the kde
10 configuration howto says, you can remove whole /usr/kde/3.4 dir (but look
11 into there first and use common sense :) For that avifile stuff, I have no
12 idea which package it came from, but probably you can remove it too (or is
13 it something installed not from portage?)
14
15 > I think some libraries are really broken, because the sound of my vlc
16 > player stutters sometimes lately.
17
18 I don't suppose it could have this effect. Broken linking usually means
19 stuff won't run at all :)
20
21 Caster