From: Tony Stohne <tstohne@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:31:36
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Grant Edwards said the following on 2007-04-05 19:51:
5
6 |> Grant Edwards said the following on 2007-04-05 16:45:
7 |> | ...
8 | That will change the colors that are used by 'ls' without
9 | breaking other programs that use color?
10 |
11 The colors of any other program should be unaffected unless they are
12 dependending on the console colors AFAIK. And yes, ls colors will
13 change, as long as You use the xterminal which colors you have changed,
14 eg xterm, rxvt and so on .
15
16 I think there is a third alternative to rgb.txt and ~/.Xdefaults.
17 bash DIRCOLORS is an option and it will affect ls.
18
19 | I used rxvt for many years until cut/paste stopped working for
20 | me a couple years back.
21 |
22 Hmmm... I never had that problem so I can't help you with that one :/
23 Maybe someone else has more knowledge/experience than me regarding this
24 issue.
25
26 |> This should provide you with enough info on setting your preferred
27 |> colors. Getting a black (or any other color) background is not that
28 |> difficult,
29 |
30 | But I don't _want_ a black background. I want a white
31 | background and a black foreground.
32 |
33 As my previous posting stated, you can set whatever color (your
34 preferred xterminal app supports) for background and foreground , ie you
35 can choose white foreground on black background or any other combination
36 you prefer:
37
38 For instance
39
40 XTerm*background: #ffffff
41 XTerm*foreground: #000000
42
43 in your ¨/.Xdefaults
44
45 should set black on white as default values for any xterm you open
46 (although portage could override it (?) since it's a python app(?) if my
47 memory doesn't fail me. Right now i can't verify if it works or not
48 because of my / disk crapping out on me.) I'm stuck Windoze again :(
49
50 I'm surprised that turning off colors for portage/emerge doesn't work.
51 It sounds like a very odd behaviour - it has always worked for me
52 whenever I tried it (although I prefer using colors - a matter of
53 personal taste - or lack thereof :)
54
55 //Cheers Tony
63 --