From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub won't boot SATA WinXP disk
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:31:09
1 I've done this on SATA and IDE drives and combos of
2 the same and I never got XP to boot unless I used
3 rootnoverify (hd0,0). Macro$haft insists on being
4 first in my experience. FWIW.
5
6 Make a grub boot disk(if you haven't already) and
7 practice until you find the proper sequence of
8 commands; then you can put them into a conf file and
9 do a grub-install. I'd do that first. A false move
10 could wipe out your MBR.
11
12 As I recall I completey destroyed the boot partition
13 on a brand new HD while fumbling with GRUB. But it was
14 still under warranty "Whew!"
15
16 --- mattr@×××××.com wrote:
17
18 > I just put in a SATA drive into an otherwise PATA
19 > machine. I put Windows XP
20 > on the new drive. I added the following to my
21 > grub.conf:
22 >
23 > title=Windows XP
24 > rootnoverify (hd2,0)
25 > makeactive
26 > chainloader +1
27 >
28 > but when I tell grub to boot this item, I get an
29 > otherwise blank screen with
30 > the text:
31 >
32 > rootnoverify (hd2,0)
33 > makeactive
34 > chainloader +1
35 >
36 > and nothing else happens.
37 >
38 > I have never had difficulty getting grub to play
39 > with Windows in the past, but
40 > that was always with PATA hardware.
41 >
42 > I have tried editing the grub configuration at boot
43 > time to see if grub
44 > doesn't like my drive number or something. I used
45 > the TAB autocompletion
46 > feature which lists three disks (hd0, hd1, and hd2).
47 > The former two are
48 > definitely my raid array based on the number of
49 > partitions they contain. The
50 > latter has only one partition (according to grub's
51 > TAB autocompletion) which
52 > is as it should be given that it is obviously the
53 > Windows disk.
54 >
55 > I'm at a loss here. Any help would be greatly
56 > appreciated. I'm afraid I have
57 > to use my BIOS to switch boot disks until I resolve
58 > this.
59 > --
60 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
66 Do You Yahoo!?
67 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
68 http://mail.yahoo.com
69 --
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list