From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition tale recovery
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:38:22
1 Quoting "pepone.onrez" <pepone.onrez@×××××.com>:
2
3 > There is any way for recover the partition table of a hardisk with out a
4 > copy of the partition table?
5
6 if you can recreate the partition table EXACTLY as it looked, then you
7 might be able to run some type of recovery util like e2fsck or
8 xfs_repair, or whatever jfs's counterpart is on the other partitions
9 and get them back.
10
11 But.. without access to a spare harddrive, you better have backups,
12 because if you get it wrong, you could totally mess up what you have.
13
14 for example: my laptop drive I know has three partitions. A boot, a
15 swap and everything else.
16
17 I always make my /boot 100 megs. so in fdisk I'd make it a new
18 partition with +100M as the size.
19
20 My swap I normally make it about 2x the memory for systems with less
21 than a gig of ram, and 1x the memory for systems with >1g of ram. I
22 happen to have 2gigs, so it's size would be +2048M.
23
24 Next, I'd make the last partition (or 3rd), whatever is left over.
25
26 Then I would have recreated my partition table had I blown it away
27 accidentally. Then I could run some type of fs repair utility on what
28 was giving me errors.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list