From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA - Still No Sound
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:43:56
1 On 03/06/2011 04:31 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM, James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Two dozen??? How many computers do you have?
6 > For audio work I have six. 2-3 sound cards/machine. Typically 1
7 > card/machine is dedicated to junk system sounds. The others run Jack
8 > for more interesting audio work. (Recording live, soft-synths, etc.)
9 >
10 > Many cards are just older things I've had for years. They will
11 > continue to be useful until the machines die and I don't have PCI
12 > slots in new ones to plug them into.
13 >
14 > - Mark
18 Here's an update. Yesterday morning I recompiled the kernel, but I took
19 most everything out that didn't look like one of the three audio cards
20 I've been trying to get working. I rebooted and tested the audio with
21 the new kernel and it didn't work. Then I rebooted again before I went
22 out for the day, the machine ran all day and all night without any
23 activity before I logged in this morning. Now I have audio again. Now
24 I think I have to pay attention as to whether audio begins working after
25 a period of computer uptime. Does this sound plausible?