From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to determine what video card I have?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:40:00
1 On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:50:24 -0400
2 "James Homuth" <james@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm trying to set up X on my system, and am not entirely
5 > sure which video card I have.
6
7 These days X is clever enough to choose appropriate driver for you.
8 I'd suggest to build X with following video drivers: "intel radeon nv
9 nvidia sis via xgi vesa", since that covers 90% (or even more) of modern
10 built-in video adapters.
11 Then issue "X -configure" as root and X will produce appropriate
12 xorg.conf in "/root/xorg.conf.new" with all the possible parameters for
13 your card, so you won't have to figure them out yourself.
14 You can also remove all the drivers but the one chosen by X and "vesa"
15 (in case something breaks or you get a new card) afterwards.
18 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net