From: James <jtp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 17:33:21
1 Anyone having any problems with VirtualBox and kernel panics?
2
3 I've tried vbox 3 and 4, both with the same behavior. Installing
4 Windows 7 as a guest and either (a) my system will completely freeze
5 (I'm assuming the kernel panicked), or (b) I'm thinking the Linux raid
6 module dies because the system becomes unresponsive (although I can
7 open a terminal, the shell doesn't come up, browser freezes, etc.).
8 The only fix for both of these problems is a hard reboot.
9
10 I have on idea how to go about troubleshooting this issue. I'd hate to
11 open a ticket with the vbox folks until I have more information.
12
13 The only thing I've read online that may be applicable is that there
14 have been some issues with kernel panics when you give the guest OS
15 more than 1 processor. It would suck badly if SMP didn't work well on
16 vbox.
17
18 Thoughts?
19 -james