From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SHA-1 has just been broken
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:18:39
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 12:00:50 +0100 Miroslav Rovis wrote:
2
3 > But, when we talk crypto being broken,
4
5 Git is not in the immediate threat due to SHA1 collision being
6 practical. See Linux blog about this:
7
8 https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/7tp2gYWQugL
9
10 Note that git devs are working on moving to a more secure hash
11 function.
12
13 Also note that git can handle several files in the repo with the
14 same hash function. While this doesn't protect from the possible
15 repo forgery, it protects from accidental file collision where
16 subversion fails badly:
17 https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/sha1-collision-attack-makes-its-first-victim-subversion-repositories/
18
19 I do not want to offence subversion devs, but they haven't even
20 considered the possibility that hash function may collide. Huge
21 blunder on their side.
22
23 > I can help thinking of other
24 > threats to Gentoo and other FOSS GNU Linux that I fear are perfectly
25 > feasible (for the resourceful subjects)
26 >
27 > Gentoo distro is increasingly served the insecure way, IMO, that is: via
28 > git, without the repositories being, for end users, PGP-verifiable.
29
30 It is verifiable for end users, but not in an easy way. You can
31 either use web rsync or verify git commits yourself using gpupg and
32 gkeys.
33
34 > And via a new private big business, the Github. Giving over all users to
35 > big Github brother.
36
37 ???
38 Github is entirely optional and is only for those who want to use it
39 (we have both users and devs willing so), but in no way anyone
40 demands its usage.
41
42 If you want to have sync-friendly git repo, Gentoo infra provides
43 one for you:
44 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git/
45
46 > And, in the trasition all the history got lost. Git started remembering
47 > only from 2015.
48
49 No, it isn't. Full historical git repo is available:
50 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo/historical.git/
51
52 One may use git graft to join historical and actual repo together.
53
54 > I have asked a question about getting git-served repository verifiable
55 > for end users, but I didn't get any replies:
56
57 Do not forget that all devs are volunteers. User-transparent
58 GnuPG tree verification is indeed important. You can help! Join
59 gkeys project, get in touch with infra, discuss what needs to be
60 done. Don't just rattle about how insecure data is provided, help
61 to make it secure! (And as I shown above actual state is not
62 that bad and some options are already available.)
63
64 Best regards,
65 Andrew Savchenko