From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ppp-gentoo woes cont'd
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:01:16
1 On Wednesday 21 Mar 2012 03:00:50 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
3 > > this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
4 > > are in ALL the following groups:
5 > >
6 > > tty
7 > > uucp
8 > > dialout
9 > > utmp
10 >
11 > They're all in the file, if that's what you mean.
12
13 No, he means that your user is a member of the above groups.
14
15 In my laptop (no analogue modem available) my user is only a member of uucp.
18 > > You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
19 > > what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
20 > > with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:
21 > >
22 > > root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
23 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
24 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
25 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
26 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
27 > > root@fireball / #
28 >
29 > lumby syzygy # ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
30 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 20 16:25 /dev/ttyUSB0
31 > lumby syzygy #
32
33 You also need to be a member of the usb group.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick