From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New xorg.conf with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:40:28
1 On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Freitag 15 Mai 2009, pk wrote:
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> > DeviceKit isn't even in portage yet and not many packages support it. I
6 >> > don't even know if the devs will change and improve the configs much, if
7 >> > at all. The problem with hal is that it's code base is a mess, and it's
8 >> > design is a mish- mash of stuff throwwn together. At least, that's what
9 >> > the lead hal dev says
10 >>
11 >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DeviceKit#Dependencies
12 >>
13 >> I haven't looked into this in any depth but it seems like Devicekit will
14 >> not be an improvement (looks like it brings in the "kitchen sink" in
15 >> dependencies - I'm also "allergic" to gnome)...
16 >
17 > in my opinion a 'solution' that is based on the worst desktop (gnome) is the
18 > worst possible 'solution'. What about kde users? what about xfce? fluxbox?
19 > enlightenment users?
20 >
21 > Fedora screws everybody over. Like always.
24 Now that seems a bit strong. Presumably they aren't screwing over
25 Fedora 11 Gnome users. (Draw Venn diagram now to look for small
26 portion...)
27
28 I don't disagree with you but it would seem that they have to start somewhere...
29
30 Cheers,
31 Mark