From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge -1 `eix -Iu --only-names` & removing old version of Python
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 04:10:35
1 Hi there,
2
3 I recently got bitten by the libexpat.so.0 error - for me I
4 discovered this some considerable months after everyone else on the
5 list, not because I don't update often (perhaps once or twice every
6 few weeks) but, I think, because my machines are servers and I don't
7 have that many packages installed.
8
9 During the LONG process of resolving this I discovered the command
10 `eix -Iu` and that running this with the --only-names flag would give
11 me a text list of all the files on the system which aren't at the
12 latest version.
13
14 First question: is 'emerge -1 `eix -Iu --only-names`' a useful
15 command for updating packages not in the world file? Or is this usage
16 of mine to be avoided? It just seems more effective than `emerge -D
17 world` - that seems to miss many packages.
18
19 I am aware that the above command may update packages I don't
20 actually need on the system, however it is less arduous to remove
21 (`emerge -C`) those afterwards, having checked what depends upon them
22 & stuff. I would rather have some unneeded packages on my system than
23 some obsolete ones which will cause problems in the future.
26 So today I ran 'emerge -1 `eix -Iu --only-names`' in order to test
27 the "new" elog -> email functionality - I had read mention of this in
28 the past, but the discussion of it in the "idea on updates" thread
29 made me think to try it. BTW: there is no /usr/share/portage/config/
30 make.conf.example on my system - it is at /etc/make.conf.example
31 instead. Is this a problem?
34 Anyway, I was reminded today that a side-effect of this command is
35 that it (re)emerges the latest version of any package for which there
36 is also an older slotted-version on the system. So it here it keeps
37 updating Python.
38
39 $ eix -I python$
40 [U] dev-lang/python
41 Available versions:
42 (2.4) 2.4.4-r5 2.4.4-r6 2.4.4-r14
43 (2.5) 2.5.2-r6 ~2.5.2-r7
44 {+cxx +threads berkdb bootstrap build doc elibc_uclibc
45 examples gdbm ipv6 ncurses nocxx nothreads readline sqlite ssl tk
46 ucs2 wininst}
47 Installed versions: 2.4.4-r9(2.4)(20:32:42 05/04/08)(berkdb
48 examples gdbm ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc -
49 elibc_uclibc -ipv6 -nocxx -nothreads -tk -ucs2)
50 2.5.2-r6(2.5)(03:46:36 08/30/08)(berkdb
51 doc examples gdbm ncurses readline ssl threads -bootstrap -build -
52 elibc_uclibc -ipv6 -sqlite -tk -ucs2 -wininst)
53 Homepage: http://www.python.org/
55 object-oriented programming language.
56
57 $ sudo python-updater
58 Password:
59 * Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
60 * No packages needs to be remerged.
61 $
62
63 So second question is, can python-2.4.4-r9 be safely removed from the
64 system?
65
66 I don't tend to keep up with best practices in Gentoo, so any
67 criticism or advice would be much appreciated.
68
69 Stroller.