From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:27:22
1 On 09/30/2013 04:31 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/09/2013 01:31, Daniel Campbell wrote:
5 >> Curious; how is merging two filesystems done? I don't have a separate
6 >> /usr and am completely unaffected by this change, but it's somewhat
7 >> interesting to me. /usr stores some pretty important data on it, and I
8 >> imagine you'd need to mount it somewhere else in order to move the
9 >> files from it to /'s /usr dir. Is a Live environment recommended
10 >> instead? How would you mitigate the leftover partition, assuming it's
11 >> not adjacent to /'s partition?
14 > Because /usr is continually in use, boot using a livecd of your choice.
15 > In that environment, use fdisk (or whichever *disk you like) to make any
16 > changes to partitions you know you will need.
17 >
18 > Mount your gentoo / somewhere convenient
19 > Mount your gentoo /usr somewhere convenient
20 >
21 > copy the latter over to the former
22 > edit fstab
23 > reboot
24 >
25 > It really is just a case of moving a large number of files around, but
26 > because those very files are always in use you have to do it in livecd
27 > environment.
28 >
29 > There's no exact checklist one can follow to guarantee a 100% result
30 > blindly. Instead, as this is Gentoo, we assume users built their system
31 > knowing what they were doing and can appropriately deal with their
32 > config themselves. RAID and LVM for example may need attention, but the
33 > user is usually equipped to deal with that and knows what t do.
37 >> I don't run an initramfs, thankfully, but I keep a pretty simple
38 >> system in terms of filesystems: /, /boot, and /home.
41 My suspicions were mostly correct, then. If the merge is that simple, I
42 see no reason not to do it if one doesn't want to roll an initramfs.
43 However, I imagine moving partitions around in gparted or something
44 similar would be quite a wait if / and /usr weren't adjacent on the drive.
45
46 Thanks for the simple-but-thorough explanation. :)