From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: ssh/scp on XP and gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:55:26
1 Hi James,
2
3 On Thursday 18 October 2007, James wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I'd like to run ssh/scp on XP and Vista. However there seems to be losts of
7 > different ideas about how best to do this. [1]. I need to be able to
8 > selective scp various files from a windows system to a gentoo system, so I
9 > do not want to be limited to the cygwin installation tree of files. [2]
10 >
11 > I'd be curious what folks on this list recommend, or any other software
12 > for such interoperability between gentoo and XP/vista systems.
15 > [1] http://www.openssh.com/windows.html
16 > [2]
17 > http://www.jfitz.com/tips/ssh_for_windows.html#Should_I_use_SSH_or_a_VPN
18
19 openssh is somewhat out of date - best you use CopSSH which installs both an
20 sshd and an ssh client. Alternatively, you have the following options:
21
22 PuTTY for a command line ssh client which will also use public key
23 authentication, instead of password authentication.
24
25 Filezilla, for a ftp/sftp client (at this moment it only uses passwd
26 authentication).
27
28 WinSCP which can use a PuTTY style private/public key authentication.
29
30 You should be able to dig out the relevant links in Google, otherwise give me
31 a shout.
32
33 HTH.
34 --