From: Henry Gebhardt <hsggebhardt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776-r1 back?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:14:40
1 On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:17:03PM +0100, Penguin Lover Henry Gebhardt squawked:
3 >
4 > > I also have a nVidia 440 Go with the same problem. I fixed by
5 > > including the line
6 > >
7 > > Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
8 > >
9 > > in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.xonf. However, now I can't
10 > > use an external Monitor/Beamer.
11 >
12 > Ah! That could be it. Sounds familiar.
13 >
14 > I've never tried connecting an external monitor or beamer, but have
15 > you tried connecting the monitor, either commenting out the above line or
16 > change it to "CRT" instead of "DFP", and starting x? From my
17 > understanding, the problem is probably the driver trying to output, by
18 > default, to the non-existing beamer/extern monitor. Your fix
19 > effectively tells the driver to ignore all CRT devices and just output
20 > to the DFP...
21
22 Yes, indeed, commenting out that line starts the display on an external monitor.
23
24 With a bit of experimenting I now have instead
25
26 Option "TwinView" "true"
27 Option "TwinViewOrientation" "clone"
28
29 in my xorg.conf. Now I can switch between the external monitor and my
30 LCD by pressing the "Fn-CRT/LCD" key. However, I need to issue the
31 command "xrandr -s 1024x768", since the external monitor doesn't
32 support my default of 1400x1050. Does anyone know how to make the
33 virtual screen size default to one supported by both monitors?
34
35 Also, when connecting the external monitor I need to restart X. Would
36 be nicer if that weren't necessary. Ideas?
37
38 Henry
39 --
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list