From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to help portage to be become a bit smarter
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:31:36
1 On 29 Jun, Dale wrote:
2 > Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'm using portage-2.2_rc33. And it has become smarter with every new
6 >> release. Still, I don't understand why it's sometimes smarter than other
7 >> times.
8 >>
9 >> In most cases now, it's able to handle cases where installed old
10 >> packages which depend on, say, libXX-version-1, block emerging
11 >> libXX-version-2 by unmerging the old version itself.
12 >>
13 >> But sometimes, like today when upgrading from various qt-...-4.5.1
14 >> to qt-...-4.5.2 packages it produces tons of blockings which it
15 >> cannot resolve itself.
16 >>
17 >> How can I help portage to resolve this blockings itself in a smart way?
18 >> (trying to do
19 >> emerge --keep-going -j2 -1 --ask --update --newuse --deep @system @world
20 >> automatically.
21 >> )
22 >>
23 >> Many thanks for a hint,
24 >> Helmut.
28 > Another thought to. The option --with-bdeps y may help. It may not but
29 > it could be worth a try. I have ran into problems where that helped and
30 > have read where a few others have ran into similar problems and that
31 > fixed it. It just tells emerge to dig a little deeper from my
32 > understanding.
33 >
34 > Can't think of anything else at the moment.
37 Thanks Dale, --with-bdeps y seems to help.
38
39 By the way, the '-j <n>' option of emerge has nothing to do
40 with the MAKEOPTS option.
41 The -j option of emerge require parallel emerging of several packages at
42 a time while the -j option in MAKEOPTS requires parallel make of a
43 single package.
44
45 In some phases (like configure, bzip of the man pages, etc) emerge
46 cannot use multiple cores for a single package. Therefore the -j option
47 of emerge tries to emerge several packages at a time unless dependencies
48 forbid that. It's quite clever in that respect.
49
50 Helmut.
53 Helmut Jarausch
54