From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VNC server / windows viewer
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:54:54
1 On Thursday 12 October 2006 14:47, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > elsewhere in the house. So far all the VNC HOW-Tos etc that I have
4 > read involve what appears to me to be very overly complex tunneling
5 > over ssh etc (a good thing if I was going over the internet, but for
6 > what im doing, totally un-necessary)
7
8 You don't need to tunnel, just let your client connect to the server port
9 (usually the dafault ports start at tcp port 5900).
10
11 > When I lived in the Fedora world, I could just install vncserver and
12 > start it up and it connected me to my active desktop and away I went.
13 > If anyone can suggest a method or solution, I would be MOST
14 > appreciative.
15
16 Sorry, I can't be of much help here, since I almost exclusively use kde's
17 krfb/krdc combination. Anyway, I remember having problems in the past
18 when connecting to the krfb desktop using a windows client like realvnc
19 or ultravnc: the connection was immediatly shut down, expecially if the
20 remote desktop had a resolution > 1024x768.
21 I'd try using one of the available vnc servers in portage (like for
22 example x11vnc or tightvnc) and see how it goes.
23
24 HTH
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list