From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:34:32
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 02:48:19PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
2
3 > Incidentally, if you use ext3, and your kernel supports ext4, chances
4 > are it's the kernel's ext4 code that's handling your ext3 fs. I don't
5 > even bother compiling in ext2 and ext3.
6
7 Interesting. From "make menuconfig"...
8
9 [ ] Use ext4 for ext2/ext3 file systems
10
11 ...and the help text says...
12
13 > Allow the ext4 file system driver code to be used for ext2 or
14 > ext3 file system mounts. This allows users to reduce their
15 > compiled kernel size by using one file system driver for
16 > ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems.
17
18 I usually have a 200 or 250 MEGAbyte (correct!) / partition using
19 ext2. /boot is physically on the / partitiion. The / partition only
20 gets written to...
21 * during the emerge "install" step
22 * when I'm manually tweaking a file in /etc
23
24 Then a swap partition, and the rest of the drive is a honking big
25 /home partition. /home/bindmounts/opt and /home/bindmounts/var and
26 /home/bindmounts/usr and /home/bindmounts/tmp are bind-mounted onto the
27 corresponding directories in /. The big /home partition is the one that
28 I'm considering EXT3 or EXT4.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications