From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:21:24
1 On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found that python_targets
4 > and python_single_targets use flags have been changed again
5 > from python3_5 to python3_6, which leads to a lot of recompilation.
6 >
7 > It already happened last month and a week later the both use flags
8 > was changed back, again with a lot of recompilations.
9 >
10 > And it was not the first time!
11 >
12 > Is any real need to switch python_targets and python_single_target
13 > back and forth every month?
16 It's very simple:
17
18 1. The default was switched to python3.6. This was probably a bit premature.
19 2. People complained that this broke their systems, so we reverted the
20 default back to python3.5.
21 3. The problems were fixed, so we switched the default back to python3.6.
22
23 Sorry to have wasted your precious computing time, but hey, people
24 make mistakes sometimes.