From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I finally ditched acroread
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 08:36:10
1 On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 00:32:02 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > For the past several years, I've had to keep acroread installed on one
3 > of my desktop machines because I occasionally need to use the "print
4 > current view" feature to print a portion of a page of a PDF document
5 > (usually a section of a sechematic or a table out of a data sheet).
6 > Acroread is only available as a 32-bit binary and it required that
7 > _89_ packages be built with a 32-bit ABI use flag. [There are various
8 > other reasons to dislike acroread, but that's the one the really
9 > bugged me...]
10 >
11 > When I noticed that the latest versions of Qoppa's PDFStudio has added
12 > the "print current view" feature, I happily coughed up the $36 to
13 > upgrade.
14 >
15 > Emerge is now busy rebuilding those 89 packages without the 32-bit ABI
16 > use flags.
17
18 I haven't used acroread or Qoppa's PDFStudio, but qpdfview and okular will
19 copy and save selections as images, which you can save and print thereafter.
20 If you prefer to work on a terminal mutool will also extract images.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick