From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Headless gentoo install
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:09:59
1 On 14 Nov 2008, at 12:05, Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > I need to install gentoo on an headless server.
3 > ...
4 >
5 > I know for sure that both the gentoo livecd and systemrescuecd need
6 > user
7 > interaction to setup ssh (at least I have to choose a root password).
8 >
9 > I think it won't be too difficoult to do it blind:
10 > - Insert cd
11 > - Poweron the machine
12 > - Wait a while
13 > - Type "passwd" "******" "******" "/etc/init.d/net.sshd restart"
14
15 Assuming you have physical access to the machine, I'd just do it this
16 way & quit worrying about it. ;)
17
18 You can boot a spare machine with another identical livecd at the same
19 time so you can see what _should_ be on the screen, and it's not like
20 it's a problem if you have to reboot the PC a few times to get it right.
21
22 Now, if the machine is at a remote location & you don't have access to
23 reboot it, then it might be a bit more of a problem...
24
25 Stroller.